May 7, 2021
Listeners can find Brandon
DaCruz on Instagram @brandondacruz_ and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/brandondacruzfitness.
Brandon DaCruz is an online
nutrition and physique coach, internationally published fitness
model, National Level NPC competitor and the National Sales Manager
for a New York based sports nutrition company called
Brandon has spent the past 12
years working within the sports nutrition and fitness industries
and believes in blending what’s been proven in the research with
his own anecdotal and first hand in the trenches experience to
improve body composition, optimize performance and enhance health
in order to help his clients achieve their goals whether that be
building muscle, losing body fat, increasing performance or
optimizing health and longevity.
In this episode, we dive into the concept of “energy
flux” -- what it is, how to achieve optimal results from it,
the difference between a high and low energy flux, mental framing
and how it can help pivot your perspective on exercise and much
"One of the largest
contributors to body weight regulation and fat loss maintenance is
our levels of physical activity." Brandon DaCruz
- Benefits of achieving a high energy
- Two practical ways to achieve a high energy
- How to get the most out of your
- One major contributor to a high energy
- The concept called mental framing and the value
of incorporating it into your life
- What is energy flux?
- What are the two forms of energy
- How can you achieve high energy
- What are the benefits of high energy flux as
compared to low energy flux?
- Can you explain practically what it looks like
to achieve a high energy flux?
- Can you talk about some of the studies that
relate to energy flux?
- Is there any adaptation that you've seen occur
with general movement when we're talking about energy
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and
- [1:30] The real battle in the nutrition space
is how to keep the weight off after you’ve lost it
- [2:30] Rachel introduces guest Brandon
- [3:00] Brandon gives the listeners a background
on his journey in the health and fitness space
- [4:30] Question: What is energy flux?
- [7:00] Question: What are the
two forms of energy flux?
- [8:00] “Low flex is essentially where you put
in less energy into the system. And you also get less energy out as
a result of eating less and then having to move less.” Brandon
- [9:30] Question: How can you achieve high
- [15:30] Benefits of a
high energy flux
- [19:30] Question: Can you explain practically
what it looks like to achieve a high energy flux?
- [24:30] The major benefits of hitting your
daily step goal
- [30:30] The concept called mental framing and
the value of incorporating it into your life
- [34:30] Constrained Total Energy Expenditure and
Metabolic Adaptation to Physical Activity in Adult
- [40:00] Question: Can you explain to the
listeners what it looks like for you personally to get 15-20K steps
- [41:00] “The neurons that fire together wire
- [44:30] “As a coach, I'm not just here for the
X's and O's, and macros, calories and sets and reps, I'm here to
better your life in all aspects: stress management, lifestyle
modification, behavior, you know, change.”
- [48:30] Different forms of physical activity
without even realizing it!
- [50:30] How to take baby steps towards changing
- [52:30] Question: Can you touch on some of the
studies that relate to the energy flux?
- [53:30] Appetite regulation and satiety
- [57:30] Benefits of going from low flux to high flux
state in crossover study
Amish study: How high energy flux
leads to low body fat and better metabolic health
- [1:05:00] Question: Is there any adaptation
that you've seen occur with general movement when we're talking
about energy flux?
- [1:09:00] You can find Brandon on IG
- [1:09:00] If you know someone that needs
MetFlex and Chill in their lives please share! Take a screenshot
and tag @rachelgregory.cns and @brandondacruz_ to help grow the show and spread the word on
this episode! :)
Join the FREE MetFLex Life
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist,
Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the
best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss
Challenge. She received
her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James
Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from
the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients
transform their lives by starting with the physical (body),
realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining
massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives
(family, relationships, work, etc.).